Ponte ‘bop’ Hebburn off their own pitch!

Ponte ‘bop’ Hebburn off their own pitch!

By Charlie Fletcher
4th September
Share via

The Colls powered through to the next round of FA Cup with 4-0 replay win.

Ponte were in true dominant form last night as we defeated hosts Hebburn Town in a scoreline that flattered Hebburn somewhat.

Another 100 mile journey north this time to Tyneside to the TECC Sports Ground for the FA Cup Preliminary Replay.

Having arrived just under an hour before the kick off the atmosphere was building nicely at Hebburn’s fantastic ground/clubhouse, one of the best we’ve visited!

Ponte announced a couple of changes to the side which beat Ramsbottom United at the weekend in came Clarke, Bailey and Cromack.

The teams entered the pitch and the Hebburn supporters were very confident of gaining victory, some suggesting they would “bop Ponte off the pitch” following the first leg.

The game got off to a fast start and the hosts had the first chance to take an early lead, a break down the left required a vital block from Bailey and the resulting cross was then headed wide.

Ponte quickly asserted their dominance on the game and took the lead on the 7th minute, a wicked cross found Redford who saw his header hit the bar, but Smythe was on hand to head home.

The Colls were well on top and had numerous chances to double our lead before Clarke grabbed our second on 27 minutes. Again another set play saw the ball bounce in the box and the centre half powered home from close range, two nil Ponte.

Five minutes later it was three! This time a solo effort from Lumsden, he found to ball 20 yards out before turning the defenders inside and out and firing under the keeper.

Half time and Hebburn had been humbled, Ponte simply had to turn up in the second half and they were in the hat for the next round.

Two minutes into the second half and the host task was made even harder, Richardson lunged in with both feet off the ground and caught Rothery in the shins. He was met with a red card and they were down to ten men.

Plenty of chances again for Ponte in the second half but this time the keeper for Hebburn was the only one denying The Colls more.

The hosts were starting to lose their rag on the field and more yellow cards came, the most comical of those came as Dunn danced around the right back who had enough, he decided he couldn’t get the ball so volleyed Dunn up into the air.

Our fourth and final goal came into added time Layton Swaine on as a substitute turned his man brilliantly to race through on goal, he kept his composure and calmly slotted past the keeper to make it four nil.

A classy yet professional performance from Ponte saw us through to the next round where we will travel to Glossop North End this Saturday. A win would be a record distance in the FA Cup.

Ponte Colls XI;
Malkowski, Greenhough, Picton, Clarke, Smythe, Bailey, Cromack, Rothery, Dunn, Redford and Lumsden.

Subs; Knight (Lumsden), Morton, Swaine (Dunn) and Jeffs (Cromack)


Share via