MATCH REPORT - Ponte share spoils at Runcorn

MATCH REPORT - Ponte share spoils at Runcorn

By Charlie Fletcher
18 August
Share via

The Colls returned across the m62 following 1-1 draw with Runcorn Linnets

After a gruelling preseason the league season was finally here. We travelled to Runcorn Linnets on the opening day, looking to get off to a good start.

Despite the heavy rain in the build up to the game the pitch looked in good condition. The sun shone on the Millbank Stadium, as the teams entered the pitch, The Colls clad in our new blue and white Kappa kit, supplied by TGR Teamwear.

As expected the game got off to a fast start, both teams at 200 mph. This made for a scrappy affair and not many clear cut chances in the early stages.

Colls played down hill in the first half but neither side managed to get on top. The games first major chance to break the deadlock fell to Ponte on the half hour, a corner whipped in from the left saw Lumsden’s header cleared off the line.

With both teams having half chances before the break we went in level at 0-0, a deserved half time score.

Ponte come out the strongest of the two sides and took an early lead on 46 minutes. That man again Joe Lumsden! He received the ball on the edge of the area, before nutmegging his marker and sending the keeper the wrong way 1-0!

We were in the ascendancy now and were creating some good openings. The games first flash point came just before the hour, the referee had already blown for a free kick before Linnets no. 4 threw Jimmy Williams to the floor. The Runcorn man was very lucky to escape with just a yellow card.

Minutes later Ponte were denied a stone wall penalty, Lumsden again with smart work in the area was chopped down from behind. The ball was played at but you cannot come in from behind, penalty not given!

Despite Ponte’s pressure it was Runcorn Linnets who grabbed the games second goal. A double substitution from the hosts saw one of their additions make a break down the right, his cross found their striker who scuffed his effort into the ground wrong footing Seb Malkowski and into the back of the net.

With both sides pushing for a late winner it was Ponte again up in arms. With 88 minutes on the clock, the ball had bounced around in the box as Lumsden knocked the ball out wide he was kicked as he played the ball. Again the referee waved away the certain claims.

The final whistle went and the game ended with both sides taking a point from the game. Ponte could feel hard done by but taking a point from our league opener away from home is never a bad thing.

Final score: 1-1

Goals from: Joe Lumsden (Colls) and Jamie Rainford (Linnets).

Next up is our first home game as we host Tadcaster Albion, in what should be a great game. Tuesday 20th 7:45 Kick Off.

Runcorn Linnets team;
1. Passant 2. Hinnigan 3. Coyne 4. Ryan 5. Brown 6. Corrigan 7. Wylie 8. Aley 9. Rainford 10. Shanley 11. Cannon-Noren
SUBS - 12. McGivern 14. R McCarthy 15. Simpson 16. C McCarthy 17. Sherlock

Ponte Colls team;
1. Malkowski 2. Greenhough 3. Smythe 4. Ible 5. Cyrus 6. Williams (c) 7. Bailey 8. Brown 9. Lumsden 10. Rothery 11. Dunn
SUBS - 12. Jeffs 13. Morton 14. Swaine 15. Knight

Attendance: 347

Share via